http://politics.netscape.com/story/2007/09/03/
restoring-the-promise-of-the-american-dream/
And this is one of the things that is wrong with America.
Our beautiful country that I still strongly believe in, if people could get their hands out of their pockets and stop getting off on counting their billions.
I'm not an American hating pinko commy liberal--I'm more closer to the pissed off red neck conservative asshole, but if you ask me, I'd like to really think I'm neither and walk a careful line between the two stereotypes. Still, my voting ticket has always leaned to the right, and when you see my comments in there (I think you can pick out who I am) then I don't feel I need to explain how awkward I felt writing them.
I went for a job interview the other day. My first one. I won't list any names of the company or the man who interviewed me, out of respect for them, but I was once again met with what I think is wrong with America.
The man who interviewed me wanted to know why I was interested in the company. It wasn't exactly my kind of work, but it works with insurance, and I always like to be a solution, so I decided if there was someway I could help people afford insurance then it sounded good to me. I told my interviewer this, and said insurance is so important because so many like myself cannot afford it. He replied with explaining to me that the reason that his company does not cater to selling insurance to younger people, such as those in my generation, is that first of all, as soon as they lose their current jobs, they're the first ones to drop the policy--which was my first indication he's more concerned with profits than actually helping people. Then he said most young people don't have the money for insurance, mostly because they're into buying that hot new car they want. And then he said before all this that there's nothing wrong with insurance. Just people who don't want to pay for this. I had the guts to ask at least one of the questions sitting on the edge of my twitching tongue, "How do you pay for it if you don't have income to do that first?"
That he offered no response.
If I could sit and chat with him again, I would ask him how people my age keep getting hot new cars. I want to know where they get that kind of money, because I'd love some to pay off my debt.
I love America; I love the rights that we have here, how we can say mostly whatever we want, and how we have a right to education and how no matter where you turn, you're gaurunteed at least some kind of food and shelter.
But that's the excuse that people use. They say that there's jobs, like that midnight shift at that gas station down the road with the shoot-ups, that I wouldn't wish anyone to have to work, and there's always somewhere to live, so long as you don't care about your or your family's safety and privacy. If you're completely poor enough, you can always leach off the government's system.
If someone wants to suggest that, I say they quit their job, and do it. Becuase obviously if it's fine for everyone else then it's fine for them.
I'm still a conservative. I still believe in working hard to support myself and take care of myself, and I honestly believe that it will happen one day. But not until these people open their eyes and realize that they're completely fucking over the America they claim to love and believe in.
Monday, September 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment